Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Five: The Big Picture

Over at RevGalBlogPals, Sally writes: This week I took some time out to stop and walk and take in the view; my son Chris is studying in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, too often we simply drive up there, turn around and come home! This time Tim and I took time out to take in the view. It occurs to me that we need to do that more in life....
With that in mind I offer you this week's Friday Five:

1. How important is the "big picture" to you, do you need a glimpse of the possibilities or are you a details person? I like knowing the general direction of where I'm headed, but I'm not very good at being part of long-range "visioning" processes. Those types of things move too slowly for me. Give me something to do while someone else concentrates on what comes next!

2. If the big picture is important to you how do you hold onto it in the nitty gritty details of life?
I'm a list-maker. And a list-checker-offer. There's something kinesthetically satisfying about checking something off a list.

3. Name a book, poem, psalm, piece of music that transports to to another dimension (one....what am I thinking....) As Sally predicted, so many pieces of music come to mind... "Seven Bridges Road" by the Eagles; "Who Wouldn't Want to Be Me" by Keith Urban; "City of Blinding Lights" by U2; about half the songs on Terri Hendrix's CD The Spiritual Kind... and more, of course. EDITED to add: How could I have forgotten "Sweet Afton" by Nickel Creek?

4.Thinking of physical views, is there somewhere that inspires you, somewhere that you breathe more easily? I think my Friday Fives have a pattern with questions like this, and that pattern involves answering "Alaska." But for this one, I also have to add New Mexico, Colorado, and northwest Arkansas (Boston Mountains). Why don't I live closer to any of these places? And if I did, would they still be as inspiring?

5. A picture opportunity... post one if you can (or a link to one!) Amazing how very tiny things can remind one of the big picture. It's kind of blurry -- it's hard to record something so little with only one hand on the camera -- but Monday morning I discovered an inchworm (and yes, I sang the Inchworm song). I took some video just before I set it free:

7 comments:

RevDrKate said...

I can't wait to log on at home tonight and watch the vidoe (can't at work-drat!) I like YOUR question in #4...food for thought.

RevAnne said...

Great play--love the video!

Anonymous said...

That was an innovative way of showing folks how to see the big picture! Very well done and enjoyed your post. Perhaps #4 the most because I am traveling to Alaska next week.

zorra said...

Inchworm...inchworm...measuring the marigolds...that goes back even farther than Danny Kaye and the Muppets; I remember it from Captain Kangaroo...Thanks for the memory! Nice play. Now I have to get back to work!

Deb said...

Zorra, I remember Captain Kangaroo too!!

I can't believe I forgot "City of Blinding Lights!" (what was I thinkin?)

d

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

more power to you great list-maker! i make 'em and lose 'em... too many post it notes and not enough time...

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

I love the Muppet version of Inchworm (it's one of my favorite Muppet Moments)

Danny Kaye originally did it in Hans Christian Andersen (1952) there's a you tube for it too but I can't get the link posted here