Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Five: Grand Tour

Over at RevGalBlogPals, Songbird writes: One of our original ring members, jo(e), wrote yesterday about a trip she and her sisters are taking overseas with their parents, to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Many other RevGals are headed for the Festival of Homiletics in the coming week (click here for information on a RevGals meetup!!). In honor of these upcoming trips, herewith your Grand Tour Friday Five.

Name five places that fall into the following categories:


1) Favorite Destination -- someplace you've visited once or often and would gladly go again:

Alaska, particularly Seward and the Kenai Fjords National Park. Two years after our trip, Northwest Glacier is still the wallpaper on my laptop.

2) Unfavorite Destination -- someplace you wish you had never been (and why):
Hmmm... I wouldn't go so far as wishing I'd never been, but I'm not a big fan of Branson. First off, it's a huge tourist trap, and second, reading a study of it in sociology class didn't help.

3) Fantasy Destination -- someplace to visit if cost and/or time did not matter:
Oh, this is too easy. Back to Alaska! This time, we'd skip Fairbanks (nothing personal, Fairbanks... you're just the most boring town in your state) and go inside the Arctic Circle instead. We'd also take a pretty significant side trip to Churchill, Manitoba to do a Tundra Buggy tour.... Oh, and back to Denali National Park, of course. And Talkeetna, where we never did actually see Denali (a.k.a. Mt. McKinley) because it was covered in clouds, and our flight around the peaks got canceled due to the low visibility.

4) Fictional Destination -- someplace from a book or movie or other art or media form you would love to visit, although it exists only in imagination:
Hogwarts. 'Nuff said.

5) Funny Destination -- the funniest place name you've ever visited or want to visit:
Well, this Arkansas native has been to both Booger Hollow (pronounced Booger Holler) and Toad Suck (inspiration for the Toad Suck Daze festival). I'd also like to visit Chicken, Alaska. The story is that they wanted to name it after the state bird, the willow ptarmigan, but they couldn't agree on how to spell ptarmigan. So, Chicken it is.

15 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, the number 5's in this play are just so priceless. So delightful to see you.

Diane M. Roth said...

ah, makes me want to visit Alaska!

Unknown said...

Booger Hollow? Seriously?

DogBlogger said...

Yes, Songbird. Seriously. (Didn't you click on the link and look at the pictures? They have a two-story outhouse!)

RevDrKate said...

And if you are from BH do you admit it? The Alaska trip(s) past and future sound fabulous....I'll be your sherpa!

Annie's Mom said...

Wonderful play! I would love to visit Alaska... my mom took a cruise down the Alaskan coast when she was 5 years old, and since she told me about it, I've wanted to go as well.

Law+Gospel said...

Your number 5 is a hoot! Like the new blog. Can I come to Alaska too!

LutheranChik said...

#5 is too funny.

I forgot to mention Alaska as a "want to go" on my blog. My pastor has traveled up and down Alaska, and seriously considered accepting a call at some tiny mission church near the Aleutians. He highly recommends an Alaska journey to everyone at least once in their lives.

Processing Counselor said...

#2 sounds interesting. My partner-Ms. NJ- had never even heard of Branson until she visited my relatives in Ohio!
Loved #5

zorra said...

After you go to Chicken, let's swing by my old delta stomping grounds and we can go to Alligator, MS.

Frederica Mathewes-Green wrote an interesting essay about Branson in a recent issue of Books & Culture--I don't know whether you saw it.

RevAnne said...

Ben wants to go to Alaska. Maybe when I finish school.
Great play. Glad to have you back!

God_Guurrlll said...

ooooh I almost put down Branson Missouri as my least favorite destination. My partner and I visited it several years ago and found it to be too hokie for words.

Diane M. Roth said...

I tagged you for a meme over at my place.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Being a "dog mama," I had to come see a blog written by dogblogger.

I enjoyed your choices to the Friday Five.

I've never been to Branson, but I always imagine it would be like my least favorite place: Gatlinburg.

revhipchick said...

too funny! branson made my least favorite place as well!

great play! hogwarts was my fantasy destination as well--i wonder just how many revgals had it listed.

peace