Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Five: Windows of the Soul

Over at RevGalBlogPals, Sophia writes:

This Friday Five is inspired by my husband's Lasik surgery yesterday....He'd been contemplating it for a while and was pushed over the edge by the fact that we put too much money in our healthcare spending account this year and it would have been gone anyway. (There was only enough for one eye, but the kind people at the eye clinic figured out a way to divvy up the charges between surgery and followup in January=next year's spending account). So please say a little prayer for his safe recovery and share with us your thoughts on eyes and vision.

1. What color are your beautiful eyes? Brown, and thanks for assuming they're beautiful. Did you inherit them from or pass them on to anyone in your family? Inheriting brown eyes is easy; my mom had blue eyes, but didn't pass them on until her third grandchild. My brother and his wife told her about that pregnancy just hours before she died.

2. What color eyes would you choose if you could change them? Something really weird but only temporarily. I've always liked those cosmetic contacts that have creepy pupils or odd colors or patterns.

3. Do you wear glasses or contacts? What kind? Like 'em or hate 'em? This F5 topic is timely, as I have an optometrist appointment this afternoon. I've been wearing contacts pretty much any time I leave the house for years (except for early morning small-group meetings). My glasses are years overdue for an update, so I'm planning to choose some frames today that I'll be happy wearing with outfits other than my pajamas. I prefer contacts, because glasses get in my way, but I want some that I might actually be glad to wear, so I'll be more likely to give my eyes a rest.

4. Ever had, or contemplated, laser surgery? Happy with the results? Contemplated, yes, but I'm too much of a sissy. The Alpha did Lasik 5 years ago (I watched! on a big screen! creepy!), and is still happy with it.

5. Do you like to look people in the eye, or are you more eye-shy? I'm a fan of eye contact, within reason. Somebody staring me down isn't comfortable, of course.

Bonus question: Share a poem, song, or prayer that relates to eyes and seeing.
I don't have blue eyes, but The Alpha does. And I've always liked this Elton John song. (Sorry, can't get the video to embed!)

9 comments:

RevAnne said...

College flashback: Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"...should've listed that as my eye song.
I've always thought brown eyes to be warm and welcoming...and your writing proves that to be true!
Great play!

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play. I watched the movie Hogfather the other day and a character in that had some super-creepy contacts -- brrr!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Hope you find some glasses you like. It is such a hard thing for me to pick out.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Beautiful story about your mom.

Rachel said...

I love that song, love it. And watching surgery... ew!

Anonymous said...

wonderful play! i especially love that your shared the story about your mom and future grandchild sharing blue eyes. beautiful!

Linda said...

Ciba Night and Day. They ROCK.

Mary Beth said...

Yes, the creepiest thing I have EVER seen was the big screen they sat me down in front of when DH had his Lasik. Gross! It was like Clockwork Orange.

spookyrach said...

Loved your story about your mom. Love those creepy contacts, too. Maybe someday...